Job description and associated tasks
In the frame of a European (H2020) research project “UNCOVER”, we are looking for an Assistant Manager to work closely with the team at the Royal Military Academy of Belgium who can take on a leading role within our team and who likes to coordinate projects from beginning to end. Active collaboration with the UNCOVER partners in the overall management of the project is paramount, performing a variety of management tasks and assuring the day-to-day project management. We seek a candidate who can bring strong organizational skills, has attention to detail and who has strong interpersonal skills.
The Royal Military Academy of Belgium (RMA) is a military institution of university education responsible for the basic academic, military and physical training of future officers, and for the continued advanced training of officers during their active career in the Defense department (www.rma.ac.be). RMA is also conducting scientific research at university level for projects funded by Defense or by external sources. The research project UNCOVER is funded by the European Commission and you will be in charge of its overall day-to-day project management. You work within the research unit on Cryptography and Steganography of the department of Mathematics (supervised by Prof Dr. ir. Julien Petit), but will have a close working relationship with the Research Cell at RMA as well (Maj. Dr. ir. Helena Bruyninckx).
The UNCOVER project aims at developing a comprehensive approach to digital media steganalysis, i.e. detecting the presence of hidden information in digital media (images, audio, video and text). UNCOVER applies a multi-disciplinary approach in order to develop an efficient operational steganalysis platform that will comply with ethical and legal requirements. The project’s consortium consists of 22 partners from eight European Countries. RMA is responsible for the overall coordination as well as the scientific coordination and will contribute to several scientific work packages. As overall coordinator for UNCOVER, RMA will act as contact point between the partners and the European Commission, administer the financial contribution, monitor the project progress through the overall work plan, manage the approval process for deliverables and fulfil financial and reporting obligations towards the European Commission. As Assistant Manager, you are responsible for monitoring timely execution and overseeing the planned activities.
The UNCOVER project is foreseen to last for 3 years and will start on May, 1st 2021.
Duration of the contract
This vacancy is linked to the duration of the European research project UNCOVER. As a result, the collaboration will end when the project will be over.
As Assistant Manager for UNCOVER, you will perform the following activities in the framework of the UNCOVER project:
- Support the daily management of the UNCOVER project, ensuring that the project is implemented according to schedule, reviewing deliverables and EU reports.
- Prepare the EU reports together with the members of the team, including the finance manager.
- Deliver scheduled reports to the EC and other stakeholders.
- Facilitate communication between partners, and monitor tasks, deliverables, and milestones.
- Be responsible for the organization of the partners' meetings and seminars. During these meetings, you take minutes and complete the reporting.
- Be responsible for the organization of internal and external events such as internal seminars, training ...
- Contribute to the dissemination and networking activities of UNCOVER.
We seek a candidate who can bring strong organizational skills, has attention to detail and will assume a crucial role within the project.
||The applicant shall have:
- at minimum a bachelor’s or master's degree, or can present equivalent experience.
- previous experience in managing multi-partner, research consortia.
- proficient computer skills and good knowledge of Office tools.
- good communication skills and good knowledge of English (oral / written).
- have an organizational talent with the ability to direct, manage, implement, and evaluate project tasks.
- the ability to maintain effective interpersonal relationships.
||The successful candidate has to be committed to confidentiality and exclusivity and will therefore have to obtain the required security clearance. The candidate must consent with the background check required to obtain this clearance, which will be executed by Defense. Taking into account the confidential nature of the provided information within the work, absolute discretion is to be demonstrated. This position is only open for EU member states citizens.
You think in an innovative and creative way, are self-motivated and take initiatives.
- You are good at problem solving and are eager to learn.
- You communicate in a clear, concise and precise manner.
- You are honest, loyal toward the institution and respect confidentiality.
- You plan and manage proactively your self-development, while being critical to your own functioning and striving to your self-improvement.
- You are a good team player.
- You behave in a respectful way towards others, to their ideas and opinions as well as toward procedures and instructions.
- You are flexible for change and adjust yourself.
- You commit yourself in your job by giving the best of your skills in the pursuit of the highest quality standards and by persevering when needed.
|Experience & other skills
Knowledge of French or Dutch is recommended (collaboration with peers).
- Previous experience in managing international projects and/or EC H2020-funded projects is an asset.
- A working knowledge of basic financial accounting is preferred but not required.
|Point of contacts
- Probable date of recruitment: as soon as possible, in agreement with the applicant.
- Status: Part-time employment (30h/week) or Full-time employment (38h/week) based on an open-ended contract with the Patrimony of the Royal Military Academy. This does not imply that the candidate will be a civil servant. The financing of this contract is tied to the UNCOVER project, which lasts until April 2024.
- Wage scale: minimum BI1 (holders of a bachelor’s degree), adjusted according to the candidate's profile / A11 (holders of a Master’s Degree)
- Extra-legal benefits
- Possibility to obtain a bonus for bilingualism (Dutch/French);
- Holiday allocation;
- End-of-year bonus;
- Hospitalization insurance;
- Free public transport (home-work commute within Belgium) or Bicycle allowance;
- Free access to the on-campus sport infrastructure;
- On-campus restaurant and cafeteria with reduced price for employees.
- Royal Military Academy, Avenue de la Renaissance 30, 1000 Brussels;
- Occasional professional travels abroad;
- Meetings at partners’ premises;
- Stimulating work environment.